Tuesday, November 9, 2021

job change...possibly

I’m in a position that I might need to decision if I’m going to stay with Williams or possibly take a position with Exxon…if offered.

Why would I leave and why would I take a different job. Am I chasing money or running away from challenges? Does is allow me to pursue my ultimate goal or does is restrict my options?

If I stay with Williams…I have a shorter commute, better schedule, better benefits and more opportunity for movement within the company.

If I leave and go to Exxon, it will be my last job. I’ll need to stay here in Kemmerer, SW Wyoming area. Idaho is out of the question…the schedule is not ideal nor is the daily commute. I don’t know that dynamics of the workforce nor do I know the mobility locally or movement to another location.

There is a sourness when it comes to my compensation and those that started after me at Williams. I don’t know if I’m justified in my frustration of getting paid less for more quality of work. It is arrogant to think I work harder than a few of the operators and Williams, but I know that I do.

I don’t know what my compensation package will be? I don’t know what my benefits will be? 401K? Pension? Stock Options?

My #1 thing is to have a meaningful relationship? And I’m on the best path I’ve ever been and placing myself in a position to do that.

I hate to think that I will have to put conditions on a relationship that will work…Keep my “energy” job in Wyoming and commute back to my family wherever they may be. Is there a girl out there that would be okay with that? Splitting my time?

The Exxon schedule would be awesome for that scenario…7 on, 7 off? More pay…

Can I do shift work for the next 20 years? I’ll have to do that with Exxon, I will be on days if I stay with Williams…hopefully?

No comments: