Wednesday, September 1, 2021

The Natural...

One of my favorite movies...specifically baseball movies and I've heard this line dozens of times...

I'm probably more sensitive to certain movies or parts of movies that are related to things I'm going through. I've watched "For the Love of the Game" twice in the last week...Right now I'm drawn to this movie for two people that ebb and flow through life...

Kelly Preston is a single mother and Costner a major league pitcher at the height of his career when they meet...She tests the boundaries of their compatibility and is wishful in the future of them. He, however, lives in the moment of convenience and always yields to his career...specifically his legacy as a hall of famer pitcher.

The movie time jumps between the life of their relationship and his last game...one that he is flirting with a perfect game...no hits, no one on base. Costner is so consumed by revisiting his relationship with Preston and how hours before she broke things off permanently by taking a job in another country.

His distraction...focus on the break up, the highs and lows with his love...put him in a place where his doesn’t press...and somehow find himself in the zone...the place where the highest performance exists....

In no way do I think it's relative...but I relate that someone else has told me what I want, what I need...But also, that I have yielded to my own preferences...my decisions...my past rather than love what I had.

That’s also to say that I have not gained a great amount of experience about my functions...shortcomings...behaviors...and health.

Anyway, to finish up with the line that was so thought provoking from the movie, The Natural.

At the end of the movie, Robert Redford is talking with Glenn Close about his past, he says that some mistakes I guess we never stop paying for…

Iris: “You know, I believe we have two lives.”

Roy: “How...what do you mean?”

Iris: “The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.”

Someday I hope to find my Iris...

No comments: