Thursday, December 2, 2021

Alone...

I heard a phrase recently and I wanted to try to make sense of it. The context is really what makes it…real?

“You’re not alone, so don’t pretend that you are.”

It was used in step with PTSD, post traumatic stress disorder. When someone has a traumatic event, or possibly an addiction, habit, or event in their life where they feel like nobody else understands, they isolate themselves to cope. At least that’s my take on it and I’ve experienced it myself.

After Ricky died, when I found myself in the depths of my addiction, after my divorce, and after heavy heartbreak…I wanted to just hide, run away, be alone. The reality, I needed companionship, friendship, and interaction more than anything.

For me the best start is service…finding someone or something that help.

I read in social media sites all the time that there is power in loneliness and isolation…a way to reinvent yourself. That's when you find power, health, and growth in seclusion, there is sovereignty and control in your future.

Maybe there is truth to having a balance…knowing you don’t need others to be happy, but a greater happiness comes when shared with those you love and serve?

No comments: